A Comment about The Maine Spirit Blog

Historians and horse lovers owe a great debt of gratitude to Stephen Thompson for his thorough and fascinating survey of Maine’s tie to the magnificent beast that, in both work and sport, was a principal means of tying this vast state together in the long era before the automobile. Water Village, my history of Waterville, only touches on the horse, most particularly the astonishing creature named Nelson. Thompson’s work reveals the full tale of the impact of these beloved animals in this area, and in celebration of the horse, future generations will be grateful to know a story that otherwise might have been lost in the mists of time. -- Earl Smith, Dean of College, Emeritus, Colby College

Sunday, April 19, 2020

S. Dexter's Maine Spirit of the Turf -- for Aspiring Researchers, Writers and Publishers -- for Grandparents, Parents and their Children for Lost Trotting Parks' The Maine 200 Grant Initiative

As a high school student, I aspired to be a journalist. My maternal grandfather, Daniel S. Dexter, was a newspaper editor for a newspaper in Lewiston, Maine. At the University of Maine, I majored in English with minors in journalism and education. I never entered the newspaper business, but I did find creative ways to ensure that my work involved writing and publishing.  Therefore, a few years back, I decided to see if I could manage writing a monthly newspaper for the harness racing industry and those who loved the history of the Standardbred horse.


 In 2009, I reconnected with my cousin Clark P. Thompson of Bangor as he had been involved both in the harness racing industry and a historian of the sport that culminated with his publishing a book titled, Maine's Trotting Horse Heritage Trail. Not only did he research and write the book, he also placed twenty inscribed granite monument at each site, I attended his presentation in Winthrop as he placed the monument for Winthrop Messenger in the vicinity of a building that was once a stable for that horse. Clark's presentation was inspiring and heart-felt. Through Clark's example and inspiration, I began my journey exploring Maine's lost trotting parks, Maine's 19th century agricultural societies and the history of the Standardbred horse.


In 2012, I decided to take on the challenge of developing a monthly periodical that I called S.Dexter's Maine Spirit of the Turf. As I developed each issue, I was unable to constrain my creativity. Each issue became a 25 plus page publication. Given this, my year publishing the Spirit ended in six months.

A goal of Lost Trotting Parks' Maine 200 Grant Initiative is to encourage and motivate Maine people of all ages to write memoirs of their family histories. Families who engage in horse related activities and sports are encouraged to write their family histories in terms of their way of life, their love of the horse and their family's engagement in the sports of harness racing, barrel racing, horse pulling, and other forms of competitions.

Maine families should consider memoir writing as a means to tell their family's story. Grandparents, parents and children can share in this writing process. So often I say and I am sure others have said, "Why didn't I take time or think to ask the questions of my parents and grandparents that would have given me a true understanding of our family's history.

The following links will take you to selected issues of S. Dexter's Maine Spirit of the Turf.


No comments:

Post a Comment