A Comment about The Maine Spirit Blog

Historians and horse lovers owe a great debt of gratitude to Stephen Thompson for his thorough and fascinating survey of Maine’s tie to the magnificent beast that, in both work and sport, was a principal means of tying this vast state together in the long era before the automobile. Water Village, my history of Waterville, only touches on the horse, most particularly the astonishing creature named Nelson. Thompson’s work reveals the full tale of the impact of these beloved animals in this area, and in celebration of the horse, future generations will be grateful to know a story that otherwise might have been lost in the mists of time. -- Earl Smith, Dean of College, Emeritus, Colby College

Saturday, April 4, 2020

As We are at Home . . .

from Stephen D. Thompson

As Libby and I have been isolated at home for more than twenty days, we have found ways of keeping busy -- being occupied. I have taken the time to work on the Maine 200 Grant that Lost Trotting Parks was awarded by the State of Maine. Libby has been reading books as a member of her book club and attending her Memoir Class through ZOOM. Today for the first time we were outdoors in a neighbor's back yard with our daughter and husband, their three daughters and our son and his girlfriend. We positioned ourselves more than six feet apart and spent two hours talking and enjoying the wonderful day of sunshine, scattered clouds, and a blue sky. We are still questioning when it will be safe for us to gather together inside and holding our grandchildren in our arms. These are difficult times.

I have set time aside to develop this blog, The Maine Spirit and the Horse. My first initiative has focused on the idea of interviewing others and memoir writing. I hope that people and families who work in horse related industries, horse related activities, and for Maine Agricultural Fairs will make time to tell their stories either by writing or by being interviewed by another family member or child who will be the author of your memoir.

On both sides of my Thompson-Dexter families, I seldom heard stories about childhood events and stories of my parent's parents. Knowing this I am motivated to encourage others to set aside time either by themselves or with their families and write their stories.

As the founder and Creative Director, I will help others through the Maine 200 Grant to manage time and review stories that are send to me at the e-mail: themainespirit@gmail.com.

Take the time to think and then believe that this would be your worthwhile endeavor -- a way to bring meaning, value and purpose into your life. You have lived a life. Perhaps it may be time to ask, "What will I do with the rest of my life" When I was thirty nine years old, I was diagnosed with 4th stage Lymphoma. After a major operation and while receiving chemotherapy, Libby and I became members of H.O.P.E Groups (Healing of Persons Exceptional). Even today we are grateful for that experience and our relationship with H.O.P.E's founder, Ken Hamilton, MD.

Everyone can grow and gain personal insight through the process of Memoir Writing. I encourage you to take the time and join with me. 

In 2009, when I started my lost trotting parks experience, I had retired from work for a variety of reasons. For two years I was lost and then curiosity solved my 'what to do dilemma.' I suddenly realized what my next adventure would be. My lost trotting parks works has indeed brought to me a sense of meaning, value and purpose. 

Please join me moving forward!

Stephen D. Thompson


Founder and Creative Director
Maine 200 Grant Administrator
The Lost Trotting Parks Heritage Center

No comments:

Post a Comment