A Comment about The Maine Spirit Blog

Historians and horse lovers owe a great debt of gratitude to Stephen Thompson for his thorough and fascinating survey of Maine’s tie to the magnificent beast that, in both work and sport, was a principal means of tying this vast state together in the long era before the automobile. Water Village, my history of Waterville, only touches on the horse, most particularly the astonishing creature named Nelson. Thompson’s work reveals the full tale of the impact of these beloved animals in this area, and in celebration of the horse, future generations will be grateful to know a story that otherwise might have been lost in the mists of time. -- Earl Smith, Dean of College, Emeritus, Colby College

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Welcome to The Maine Spirit of the Horse

 -- Alloway with Wendall Wathen up at the Skowhegan Fair --

The Lost Trotting Parks Heritage Center received a Maine 200 Grant from the State of Maine. This grant will allow the Center to re-brand The Maine Starting Gate Museum to present displays that will provide content celebrating The Maine Spirit of the Horse along with content displaying other aspects of Maine becoming a state. 

The purpose of the Maine Spirit website is to provide greater content for the subjects displayed on the Starting Gate Museum. The website will also be designed to provide content to reach educators and their students that would have interest in the Maine Spirit topics.

The Lost Trotting Parks Heritage Center, its directors and founder appreciate receiving the Maine 200 Grant.




                                         

2 comments:

  1. I knew Wendall Wathen from my winters at Pinehurst Training Ctr. In Pinehurst N.C.. My Father Thomas B. Johnson Sr. (August 30, 1920-August 3, 1980) Breeder and Owner of the great 2year old Maine Sired T.B.J, who competed in the early Maine Sires Stakes(they included New England sired horses in the early years), 4yr 1:59 2/5 as a 2 yr old 22 starts 10 wins 6 seconds and 5 thirds. Lifetime 47 wins with over $140,000 in winnings. Spent winters in Pinehurst training home breds. Wendall and his wife ran the track kitchen. They put out a mean breakfast and I have enjoyed many of them. As I recall his Son was the Head Judge on the Maine Supreme Court.
    Todd L. Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way Stephen I had commented earlier making a case for T.B.J.'s induction into Maine Hall of Fame to you and cannot find it nor did I see a reply. I noticed on my above comment about Wendsll Wathen I show as unknown. I'm not sure how to have my name Todd Johnson displayed when I comment, as I did about the Woolworth Family a couple days ago. My email eightisluckyto@aol.com or facebook Todd L. Johnson or Instagram @toddljohnson.

    ReplyDelete