A Comment about The Maine Spirit Blog

Historians and horse lovers owe a great debt of gratitude to Stephen Thompson for his thorough and fascinating survey of Maine’s tie to the magnificent beast that, in both work and sport, was a principal means of tying this vast state together in the long era before the automobile. Water Village, my history of Waterville, only touches on the horse, most particularly the astonishing creature named Nelson. Thompson’s work reveals the full tale of the impact of these beloved animals in this area, and in celebration of the horse, future generations will be grateful to know a story that otherwise might have been lost in the mists of time. -- Earl Smith, Dean of College, Emeritus, Colby College

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Walking Riverside Park in Machias, Maine

In 2009, I connected with Clark Thompson, who had spent many researching the history of Maine Harness Racing. As a result of his research, Clark wrote a book, Maine's Trotting Horse Heritage Trail. As we talked Clark asked if I would help him with his research on the fairgrounds and trotting parks of the North Kennebec Agricultural and Horticultural Society in Waterville. I joined Clark in his research of the Waterville based fairground. I was surprised that today the fairground is the back half of the Pine Grove Cemetery. Eventually, Clark and I met the cemetery's groundkeeper and walked throughout the cemetery as we talked. At one point, I walked off by myself and asked myself, "if this fairground and trotting park became a cemetery, what happened to other trotting parks through the State of Maine. Weeks later, I learned that there were more than 90 communities in Maine that supported trotting parks that were registered with the National Trotting Association between the years of 1890 and 1930. The video below is my walk around the trotting park in Machias called Riverside Park. It was my good fortune that the owner of the property had mowed the track before my arrival.



No comments:

Post a Comment